The Music Department at Beaumont School offers a wide range of opportunities for all students to enjoy music-making, both in and out of the classroom.
We have a fantastic reputation for the quality of our teaching, and the standard of our extra-curricular ensembles. Our department is inclusive, challenging and engaging, and of course a lot of fun.
Key Stage 3
At Key Stage 3, students explore the interrelated skills of performance, composing and listening, studying a variety of musical styles and traditions. Students look at a range of ‘world musics’, as well as both traditional and contemporary approaches to ‘classical’ music-making. Emphasis is strongly placed on practical music-making, with many opportunities for students to sing, play and compose with others. Music Technology plays in important role in our Key Stage 3 curriculum. Over three years, students develop a strong musical identity, and form an appreciation of music in all its many forms.
Students are assessed informally in Music, by looking at work-in-progress, as well as more formal assessment of final performances of work completed at the end of a unit. Recordings and verbal feedback are used to build up a portfolio of student’s work over time, charting their development.
No home learning is set at KS3. However, suggestions for wider listening and reading are often shared with students through our blog and Twitter account, as well on Google Classroom.
Key Stage 4
In Years 10 and 11, students follow the OCR GCSE Specification for GCSE Music.
We believe the OCR syllabus offers students the opportunity to perform and compose in styles that interest them, as well as exposing them to a vast range of musical traditions. It is a demanding yet engaging course that develops the whole musician, and fosters a lifelong love and appreciation of music.
The course is 60% coursework, comprising two performances and two compositions across the two years of study. The remaining 40% is a listening exam that covers the Areas of Study taught throughout the course.
Students are encouraged to practise their instruments and develop their composing ideas throughout the course. Several pieces of home learning are set to ensure students have a deep and broad understanding of the Areas of Study specified by the exam board.
Key Stage 5
In the 6th form, students follow the OCR specification for ‘A’ level Music. Delivery of the course is shared between Beaumont and Sandringham, as part of the BeauSandVer Education Trust.
The OCR syllabus is a demanding yet rewarding course that covers a wide range of music, through the study of a variety of works. Students engage with external factors that affect the production and consumption of music, developing knowledge and understanding historical and social factors surrounding great musical compositions. They perform and compose in styles that suit their individual musical identities.
The course is 60% coursework, comprising a performance recital and two composition tasks completed across the two years of study. The remaining 40% is a listening exam that covers the musical styles taught throughout the course.
Students are encouraged to practise their instruments regularly and develop their composing ideas throughout the course. Several pieces of home learning are set to ensure students have a deep and broad understanding of the Areas of Study specified by the exam board.
The extra-curricular programme at Beaumont School is enormous. We have a range of ensembles: choirs, bands, orchestras and chamber ensembles. There are opportunities for every child to get involved in our department, regardless of experience and prior ability. We perform in numerous concerts throughout the year, both in school and in the local community. We have collaborated with local and national choirs and ensembles, and work with professionals in the music industry. We run a Music Tour to Europe every two years, and often have visiting musicians delivering workshops to our students. One to one instrumental tuition is available on many instruments, with tuition provided by a team of outstanding peripatetic teachers.
Timetables will by displayed in the Music Department.
Stretch & Challenge
In lessons, students are encouraged to develop their composing and performing skills as much as possible. Our extra-curricular enrichment provides a range of opportunities to develop our musicians, and our auditioned ensembles further stretch our more advanced instrumentalists and singers. Older students often lead ensembles, and assist with the running of the department through our Music Captains programme.
We run a number of trips for students, to concerts, talks and other performances. We have a strong tradition of sending students to sing and play in local and national ensembles, such as the National Youth Choir, National Youth Concert Band and the English Schools’ Orchestra.
Where can Music take you?
A love of Music is a passion that accompanies you for the rest of your life. The ability to sing or play is an invaluable skill that many desire, but too few possess.
Former students have read Music at a range of universities, including Oxford and Cambridge.
Careers for Music graduates are wide-ranging. Many industries value creativity, independent learning skills and a collaborative approach: these highly-regarded skills are typically possessed by musicians. You could find work as a musician, or move into education or Arts administration. Really, no career is inaccessible for music graduates!
How can parents support their child’s learning?
If your child attends music lessons, please help them organise attendance at lessons, instrument care and, of course, practice. Encourage your child to listen to a variety of musical styles; suggestions can be found on Google Classroom, our Twitter feed or our Instagram (links below).
To see the frequently asked questions, please click here